Until 2002, LGB Brass was known as the Glynde and Beddingham Brass Band.
The band was formed in 1922 by William Turner, the station master at Glynde, the downland village between Lewes and Glyndebourne opera house. It rehearsed in Glynde Reading Room and all the original players came from the village or nearby Beddingham. Mr Turner himself was the band’s original Musical Director.
Over the years, the band attracted musicians from the surrounding towns of Eastbourne, Lewes and Brighton.
To reflect the wider membership, we changed our name in 2002 to Lewes, Glynde and Beddingham Brass – or LGB Brass. At the same time, Lewes Town Council invited us to move our base to the All Saints Arts Centre in Lewes.
We are now able to promote our own concerts in the art centre’s auditorium, as well as continue our popular performances throughout East and West Sussex.